New Zealand is rated globally as one of the safest, and most organized country to live, work and raise a family. The beautiful and breathtaking landscapes and beaches, moderate climate, low unemployment rates and a robust economy compliment the diversity of New Zealand.
Permanent residents in New Zealand are allowed to travel in and out of the country without the onerous process of applying for a visa and they can also live and work in New Zealand for as long as they wish.
Permanent residents enjoy the most benefits as citizens such as healthcare and education. To be eligible for permanent residency status in New Zealand, you must have lived in the country for two years under any of the numerous visa streams.
You can apply for permanent residency when you satisfy the requirements and the processing time is usually 21 days.
Alternatively, you can become a permanent resident through direct selection if you are a partner of a citizen, foreign skilled worker or a refugee.
Benefits Of Permanent Residency
As a permanent resident in New Zealand:
- You are allowed to enter and depart New Zealand without restrictions within 2 years period, thereafter if you meet the criteria can be renewed.
- You can live, study and work in New Zealand without restrictions
- Permanent residency is the major requirement to becoming a citizen. You can apply for citizenship after satisfying the eligibility criteria
- Permanent residents studying in any New Zealand institution pay domestics fees and not international fees.
- If your relatives or spouse meet the residency requirement, you can sponsor them to become permanent residents.
- You are entitled to social security and medical benefits
CHildren of permanent residents born within New Zealand’s automatically are citizens by birth.
Permanent Residency Visa Streams
New Zealand offers various visa categories to suit different immigration objectives, and gaining permanent residency in New Zealand is through any of the following visa streams.
- Skilled Visa: Skilled and experienced foreign workers are invited to apply for permanent residency. Successful applicants can relocate with to New Zealand With family on a permanent basis.
- Partner Visa: If your partner/spouse is a Citizen or permanent resident of New Zealand, he/she can sponsor your application to become a permanent resident.
- Long Term Skill Shortage: Applicants with the required qualification for a particular job on the Long term Skill Shortage list and an offer of employment are eligible for this visa stream.
- Long Term Shortage List: Applicants who have lived and work in New Zealand for 2 years under the Long Term SKill Shortage Work Visa are eligible for this visa.
- Parent Retirement: New Zealand citizens or permanent residents can sponsor their parents to retire in New Zealand permanently. However, you must be able to provide an annual income of NZ$60,000 and NZ$1 million for 4 years for investment.
- Talent Accredited Employer Work Visa: Applicant who has been offered a full-time job by an accredited employer because of their skills and expertise can apply for permanent residency through this visa stream.
- Talent Accredited Employer Resident Visa: Residents who have worked for an accredited employer for more than 2 years can apply for permanent residency through this category.
- Dependent Child Resident Visa: New Zealand citizens or permanent residents can sponsor their dependent children to move to New Zealand to live on a permanent basis.
- Investor to Resident Visa: Individuals who have a minimum net worth of NZ $3 million available in assets or funds qualify for this visa stream, this stream allow their partner and dependent children to relocate to New Zealand.
- Entrepreneur Resident Visa: This visa stream is for residents who have successfully operated a business for at least 6 months or through another visa category operated business for 2 years can apply for permanent residency.
- Religious Worker Resident Visa: Religious workers on a valid work visa who have been doing religious work for at least 3 years qualify for PR under this stream.
Requirements For New Zealand Permanent Residency
The following basic criteria must be satisfied to be eligible for permanent residency in New Zealand.
- You must not be older than 55 years
You must be in good health
- You must show proof of sound character
- You have to provide proof of job offer for work (this is for sponsored visa)
- You need to prove to the immigration official that you will honour your immigration obligations.
- You will be required to show proof of competence in the job you are offered.